Greetings fellow champions of science! We hope you're well rested and feeling tip-top. Our latest update titled "Insanity!" is best approached with a sharp mind. If you're feeling up to it, the latest version is now available for exploration. If you wish to discuss your findings with fellow intrepid explorers, you may proceed to our community forum posting!
Behold! The latest video featuring footage form our upcoming release: Insanity! Insanity! Insanity!
New Update: The Stuff of Nightmares!
Greetings and salutations fellow champions of science! We're pleased to announce that the latest version of Don't Starve is now available to download! If you're looking for a place to discuss these new improvements, we have just such a thing! Head over to our post in the Don't Starve forum.
Introducing Steam Workshop!
We've been nothing but amazed by the player creations that have popped up since we introduced modding to Don't Starve. Now it's easier than ever to create and install mods for Don’t Starve to change your game and share with the community.
What does that mean? Well, a lot of things. Add in custom characters, play with the world generation, create new creatures and items, or take your adventure in a whole new direction! Using our handy-dandy Mod Upload Machine you can put your mods directly onto Steam Workshop for everyone to download and enjoy.
We've created a Workshop page on the official Don't Starve page that will help you get started modding!
Major Update Notes:
- Steam Workshop support has been added! You can install mods directly from Steam, and enable and disable them in-game.
- Translations can now be distributed as mods. See sample mod here.
- Many modding API additions including access to world gen, brains, cookpot recipes and more! There is a full list of these changes, as well as other mod-specific changes, over in the modding forum.
- New Level: The Ruins!
- The abandoned ruins of a once great civilization is now in the second level of the Caves.
- Discover the cause of their demise while you explore five new areas within the ruins.
- You will come across ancient clockwork monsters in the ruins.
- The terrifying Ancient Guardian lurks within the labyrinth.
- Beware of ambush! The Dangling Depth Dweller spider has been added.
- New crafting tab: Ancients!
- Discoverable Items:
- Slurper Pelt
- Green Gems
- Broken Clockworks
- Nightmare Lights
- Ancient Pseudoscience Station
- Ornate Chests
- Thulecite Walls
- Wilds Pond
- Craftable Items:
- The Pick/Axe: Dual functionality!
- Magiluminesense: Light the way while keeping your hands and head free for activities!
- The Lazy Explorer: Don't like walking? This staff is for you!
- Construction Amulet: See all the inefficiencies in your crafting.
- Thulecite Medallion: Track the ebb and flow of ambient magic levels.
- Belt of Hunger: Keep all that important food inside you!
- Thulecite Suit: Protection from things hitting you.
- Thulecite Club: Hit things!
New Game Screen:
- Keep track of your deaths in the new Morgue Screen.
If you're looking for general update discussion or information on changes surrounding the always incredible community mods, head over to our main thread.
Our latest update is live and brings some rather fantastic changes to Don't Starve. Along with snappy new character special powers, we've also introduced a new character that many have been asking for... Woodie, the lumberjack!
Read onward for details on these new changes. If you're looking for a place to discuss these new improvements, we have just such a thing! Head over to our post in the Don't Starve forum.
Woodie the Lumberjack:
He's a fun-loving Canadian who spends too much time in the woods. His axe talks to him, and he has a terrible curse.
New special powers for the unlockable characters:
- Gets a sanity bonus from being near fire
- Impervious to fire damage (and probably heat when that becomes a Thing)
- Gets a unique lighter that acts as an infinite torch with a very small radius
- Has a lower max sanity
- Lights fires at random when her sanity is low
- Can eat spoiled food with no penalty
- Starts with very low stats, but can upgrade himself by eating gears.
- Takes damage in the rain, but creates light from the sparks
- Can get hit by lightning, causing a system overload that makes him run faster and glow in the dark
- Has pathetic, low stats
- Can make balloon animals
- Has a large stomach
- Faster sanity drain in the dark and near scary things
- Gets damage and health bonuses when his belly is full (and penalties when it is empty!)
- Lower combat damage
- Less afraid of the dark and monsters.
- Carries around abigail's flower. When it is charged (it takes a couple of days), a blood sacrifice will summon Abigail!
- Abigail is a lot more useful now, and will last until she falls in battle
- Gets a bonus tech level
- Has a high max sanity
- Can craft books that can be read to cast powerful magic spells
- Insomniac - can not sleep
- Picky eater - higher penalties for spoiled food
Splumonkeys - Cave-dwelling monkeys that just want to cause you trouble. Nothing is safe from their pestering!
Pengulls - Mostly harmless penguinoids who leap from the ocean in the winter to form rookeries. Be careful if you disrupt their migration!
We added a new tab for gem-based items, and added amulets and staffs for all of the existing colours. Watch this space for more mind-bending magic in future updates!
- Red amulet - resurrects as before, but also converts hunger into health
- Blue amulet - harness the power of cold!
- Purple amulet - Dare to gaze upon the terrifying nightmare world.
- Purple staff - Warp space and time with teleportation!
Improved Mod Support:
There is a new mod configuration screen that lets you activate/deactivate mods from within the game. Check out the modding forum for details!
For other important changes for modders, check this thread.